Friday, June 10, 2011

The First Supper.

So it begins. I'm up first, and I decided to open with one of my absolute favorite dishes, which I learned from my dear mother back home and had ingrained into my head by requesting it for dinner every time I come home to visit.

Pesto Pasta with M.T. (Mozzarella Tomato/Much Tasty)
(serves 6-8)


First, you'll need this stuff:

1 box linguine
1 can basil pesto
at least 2 pints cherry tomatoes (you can/should use more..the topping always runs out before the pasta)
1 package fresh mozzarella (if you can, buy the cubed kind, so you can just tear it off into cute little..cubes. The grocery store didn't have any today, so I cut mine, which looks far less pretty).
olive oil
balsamic vinegar

salt/pepper (optional)



You'll also need this stuff:


1 big bowl


1 not-as-big bowl

1 big pot








  • First, start making your linguine. It tells you how on the back of the box.
  • Once you've started boiling your water, cut your cherry tomatoes in half (top-down, not side to side..save yourself the juicy mess). Put your halved tomatoes in the not-as-big bowl.

  • Add olive oil and balsamic vinegar to the not-as-big bowl, and stir the tomatoes so they're thoroughly bathed. How much you put in is up to you, but when in doubt, add more. You should be able to taste the balsamic vinegar. The salt and pepper is also optional here. I really like balsamic vinegar, so I just add a dash of salt (I've always wanted to say that).

  • Hopefully your fresh mozzarella is already cubed. If not, cut it now.


  • Once your linguini is finished with it's bath, drain the water, then put the water-less pasta into the big bowl.

  • Stir your pesto while it's still in the can, then add all of it to the big bowl. It will look disturbingly similar to Jabba the Hutt taking a crap on your pasta.

  • Overcome your disgust at the look/my description of the pesto, and stir the pasta/pesto until it's well mixed.

  • Dump (get it?) the contents of the not-as-big bowl onto the pasta

  • Add the mozzarella on top of the newly-tomahawked pasta.
It should look something like this:














Once it's on your plate, it should look something like this:



Why grapes? Because I like grapes.
They actually go really nicely with the pasta, thanks to the olive oil.









Once you've taken a bite, you should look something like this:



The average cost of this meal (based on 5 people eating) is $2.82 per person.

Enjoy!

P.S. This pasta is also delicious with grilled chicken on top, but I didn't want to ostracize Nick with our first meal. Even though he could have picked it out.

No comments:

Post a Comment